I'm going to miss the peace and quiet.
Things got busy here. Returning to work as the boys return to school. Leo, in fact, is starting secondary school. I made a few more figures; I did some piddling around with terrains. I discovered that Gaea had stopped working. It would refuse to export terrains, complaining about a lack of an appropriate license. As I suspected, installing the early-access version had overwritten my licence file. Quadspinner were very not upfront about the severe limitations on v3. It looks great, but if I can't export terrains, then it's no actual use to me. Roll on November, when I believe we'll see a full (working) release.
I did some test terrains using World Creator. I had tested the Blender Bridge, which lets you push a scene that you're building in World Creator straight into Blender. The tool works better than ever, but not well enough, alas. When I created a large, high-res terrain, I started getting out-of-memory errors in Blender. An issue that doesn't happen when the terrain is exported as an EXR and loaded into Blender via True Terrain 5.
![]() |
| Big terrain exported using the tried-and-tested EXR import method |
![]() |
| True Sky version |
Interesting results from Gaea testing, once my v2 license file was reapplied. You have to love those complex filters -- the one here that creates broken chunks. The debris is too fine, though. It's a liability unless you were able to render the terrain with 200 million+ polygons.
![]() |
| Gaea 2. working again! 120 million polygon version (in True Terrain 5.2) |
![]() |
| Same terrain rendered as above at 1 million polygons (in True Terrain 5.2) |






No comments:
Post a Comment