Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Tyr's day


5.2.2 due

Today, another Blender update should drop: 5.2.2, which I imagine fixes any serious bugs uncovered since 5.2's release. I was surprised to learn that Blender 6 is entering Alpha. Blender 6!!!

Start of Week (missing from yesterday's post)

Halo: Raptor

I am still beavering away on the test version of the Gaea-generated service road area. This week I will work out a better strategy for adding lots and lots of undulations around the service road canyon. Right now, all my tests are too sparse and too flat. Getting more density might require a more procedural approach, rather than manually painting the terrain.

Modular Space Vehicle Asset Set (MSVAS)

Allow a couple of hours (this week) to plan the next steps. I think that the first thing I need is a design language for the space vehicles, which are part of my 2288A.D. Orbital Elements universe. Once I know what a 2288-era vehicle looks like, I can start planning how many engine pods, how many cargo pods—that sort of thing.

The big inspiration right now is the Project: Hail Mary space vehicle, which looks like a real thing, and yet looks cool. <I just grabbed a link to the original design by Paul Chadeisson, which was on his LinkedIn account, but found that my account has my old email address as primary. So I tried to change my primary to a working address, but got stuck in a loop trying to update it...>

Not this, but you get the idea

Blender School

I need to do more training/learning/practice. There are so many things I could or should be doing. So many that it's now impossible to choose what to do. Nature Generator? More rock sculpting? A newer addon that I've hardly touched or even forgotten about? Come up with a training timetable for the month, then jolly well stick to it.

Therapy

You guessed it. Terrains...endless, almost pointless, terrains

Workflow: World Creator --> Gaea --> Blender 

This is becoming a bit of an old chestnut—a bowl-shaped terrain you can plonk the camera in the centre and do a 360-degree pan without the terrain suddenly vanishing.

Wider (20mm)

They're not bad, but I really need to get the masks in True Terrain matching again. Maybe I should beg Richard to take a look at it when he has time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tyr's day

5.2.2 due Today, another Blender update should drop: 5.2.2, which I imagine fixes any serious bugs uncovered since 5.2's release. I was ...