Thursday, 24 September 2026

A point of inflection

 Halo: Raptor


The news of Microsoft's closure of Halo Studio and its transfer of the IP to Activision has, unsurprisingly, plunged the project into fear and uncertainty. I think Raptor will likely continue, with an adjusted aim point, since Microsoft can no longer provide a path to a web series production. I might even prefer a worse scenario, where they develop a whole new IP. Clearly, Halo has a huge following, and anything Halo automatically generates interest. This automatic interest comes at the cost of creative shackles; you're very constrained in what is a pretty derivative (Aliens blended with golden-age sci-fi) universe. A fresh start could open so many interesting new doorways, without significantly changing the story we intend to tell.

We will see!

I'll keep punching out iterations of the service road terrain, although I am struggling to get the fine detail I crave. I'll keep trying different approaches.

WC-Gaea-Blender workflow practice. Something quirky happened...


Reduced displacement looks better, but it isn't what I was aiming for.


MSVAs

I'm enjoying the concept creation phase of the work. Sketching and thinking, usually fueled by coffee and occasionally cake. The Modular Space Vehicle Assets line is tied directly to the Orbital Elements (OE) universe. Killing two birds with one stone, if you will. This means that OE provides design constraints, while the Blender modelling end provides OE with some ship designs, if not a ship kitbashing system.

A mid-sized space ship vehicle (In OE, we don't call them ships)


I still need to take a decent of Noah to use with Hitem3D for his Attack on Titan commemorative render.

A Blender sketch I made while trying to persuade my 11-year-old that it was bedtime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A point of inflection

 Halo: Raptor The news of Microsoft's closure of Halo Studio and its transfer of the IP to Activision has, unsurprisingly, plunged the p...