Tuesday 17 September 2024

Mini-project: Orbital Elements Modular Container - Test Run

 It's Tuesday morning. Rather than pushing on with the build, I needed to jump ahead to test that the fully populated container frame doesn't look too cluttered.

Spin ring reversed

Testing out the reversed direction of the ring. So it doesn't look like this fixes the issue in that folding downwards puts the container's floor where the roof would need to go. This might be a time when cool-looking wins out against realistic. To be decided.

So I had a thought: Instead of doubling up the containers on the ring, how about a second ring where the containers are offset so all the containers can fold in together?


I like it!

I really like it, but it might look horribly cluttered when viewed from other directions.

Folded down for spinning.

Firstly, the hinge system didn't work as I hoped. When folded down, the hinge isn't locked in a properly load-bearing position. It does fold in, but not as expected. This might not matter, as it's all lost in the complicated latticework.

It does look a bit cluttered, but not so much that extra padding cannot remedy it. To this end, I thought that I'd add fuel bladders. That's bags instead of solid tanks at the midsection. These quickly modelled cloth bags must have had a massive polycount, as the render took minutes instead of seconds. I think this is working.


This was a quickly hashed test setup. Before continuing with this configuration, I'll return to the previous file version for fixes, refinements, and build optimization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quiet day / Housekeeping day

  There was not much productive work today. I did some housekeeping, so to speak. I tested some Quixel assets. They're going to be tempo...