Wednesday, 13 May 2026

Positive feedback

<sings> Positive Feedback!

Doesn't it just make the world go round?

I posted shots of the latest iteration of the Scene 002 terrain. The director loves it. I just need to add a few more hills to the last flat-looking area. This area was flat by design because ...variation is important. But directors make the big bucks for a reason. More hills!

There remain big challenges. Getting the materials right and consistent with the other scenes will take a lot of time. It's iterative, but the render times on each test are a few minutes, which is very sub-optimal. I think this is a major problem with my general 3D workflow; I get bogged down in slow renders too soon. It should be really fast. Maybe I should be working without True Sky 3 until it's all finished?

Lead Env Artist Gabe seems unhappy that I'm using World Creator instead of Gaea. He's looking at World Creator, but it isn't working for him. I really need to produce more work with Gaea to better understand where each tool's strengths lie. I've suggested to Gabe that he produce something in Gaea and I will try to replicate it using World Creator. We'll see if this is the nudge that I need to spend substantial time retraining with Gaea. On this, I rechecked my upgrade to Gaea 3.0, which doesn't appear to have worked, so I've messaged Quadspinner to take a look.



Random render of old. A World Creator Terrain completely lost under grass and cliff assets. A lesson about how your terrain is only a part of a scene. Sometimes not as big a part as you imagined.


Technically, this is a breach of the NDA, except the entire terrain's shader broke, leaving only a hint of what's going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Whoosh. Another week flashes before my eyes

 It's flown! Here we are on Friday, seemingly moments after Monday's close. This might be the power of routine. Compared to the Summ...