Saturday 23 December 2023

Blender School: Weighted Normals

 Something that came up during the Blender Bros course that I'm doing is the use of a weighted normals modifier. I'd completely forgotten that this was a thing. This morning, I woke up with an urge to understand what exactly it is doing and why.

So, I remembered learning about it during an earlier course that I didn't complete:



I'd watched this video before, on the week that Creative Shrimp's Hard Surface Modelling course was released in 2018.

When you assign weighted normals, the size of a face impacts how shading is applied to edges. When normals are averaged, they can result in a weird, edgeless effect or related artefacts that you often get when there is insufficient geometry to tell the shader how it should handle particular edges.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...