Monday 20 November 2023

True Terrain 5 - Class 101

True Terrain 5 is a terrain creation tool for Blender 4. It retains the basic concepts of True Terrain 4 but uses a brand-new application platform that offers more power and flexibility than an incremental update of True Terrain 4 could have provided. The most significant change is the move to a Photoshop-style layer-based system that unlocks terrain creation compared to the somewhat baked-in limits of version 4.


Today, I played with the built-in terrain system. I've been exclusively using my height maps from World Creator 2023. Given the extensive terrain editing options, I decided to have a go at creating my own terrain. It works pretty well, although you need to call on a lot of advanced knowledge to make realistic land forms. I didn't get into the erosion system, which probably helps make things look like they are possible in the real world.



True Terrain 5 is really stable, and I slipped into silly territory and exceeded my GPU's VRAM, which takes some doing, given my RTX 4090 has 24GB. It would be good to have a review process to recognise when a set of parameters will cause the system problems. Geo-Scatter does a great job at this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...