Saturday 23 December 2023

Blender school: a leg thing

 This Blender Bros course runs through the modelling of a futuristic crane. Component one is a support leg.

Support Leg - part 1 of the Blender Bros Free Solid modelling course

 In truth, I could have modelled this part with my eyes closed. However, I wouldn't have used booleans quite so effectively. I wouldn't have used the bevel and then used some deeper functionality to split the bevel operation. So modelling job one was well worthwhile. In fact, I might need to repeat the steps to really get my head around some of the later steps. 

More things

More natural-looking terrain textures. This took a while, and it still needs some improvements in terms of "bush and shrub noise". It is much improved from my earlier efforts. 


I challenged myself to only use one texture, so all variations in this terrain come from filtering, scaling and masking. 
One texture to rule them all

The challenge of big noise


This effort helped to clarify an important requirement for terrain texturing. Terrains of any reasonable size have large-scale noise, not just the shift of textures that you expect to see from cliffs, rocky outcroppings and scree banks. There are countless mechanisms at work: seepage and sediment build-up, the effects of wind and moisture, and so many more. True-Terrain 5 has some really powerful tools for masking and noise-making, but you really need to work hard to ensure that these tools produce natural-looking results that create the illusion that these natural mechanisms have been at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...