Friday 29 December 2023

An "Oh Crap!" Blender Lesson

Part four of the Blender Bros Hard Surface Modelling Jumpstart course should have felt like running on wheels, but it was a complete mess. I'd made some subtle errors in earlier lessons that resulted in some badly broken geometry. The symmetrize operation had created hidden extra edges that stopped bevel operations from working. I had to reset the lesson and do some extra corrective steps to remove and rebuild the component I'd built in the previous lesson.


I cut a few corners and made some alterations to Riuu's design, not really to make improvements. We got there in the end, but a fifteen-minute lesson took thirty minutes to complete.

All said, having extra problems meant learning more as I struggled to get back on track. It's all good, as I found my way to the end.

I don't really have any new knowledge to record. Maybe the creation of new elements by selecting and separating parts from an existing mesh. I haven't done that enough!

It is as follows:

1. Select an element.

2. Shift+D to duplicate.

3. Then, this part is different for me as "P" doesn't let me separate. Instead, I right-click and choose "Separate". I wonder if this is another change you get from having Hard Ops installed?


I was going to try to finish this free course today so I could jump into the full Accelerator course. This lesson was a spanner. I'm going to slow it down. If the next lesson goes wrong I might restart the course and pay more attention so as not to carry over errors.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...