Saturday 5 October 2024

More Boulton-class

 

I thought that I might have had it finished today. It wasn't to be! Some of the finer details got messy, so I'd backtrack a few times. 

I wanted to break up the mission section so I made these big boolean insets. They look nice and structural but because of the way the hull tapers there's a slight inconsistency that makes the feature less convincing. I put point defense turrets onto the top edge of the insets, then inside the insets. It was getting way too cluttered. I decided to append the previous version of the hull for now. There was just a bit too much detail all over the place.

Insets

Clutter-bug

The cabin section has been rebuilt to be consistent with the command module. Previously, it was angular in profile, while the command module at the front is curved. I fitted frames on the front lug where the spin habitats rest when folded in. 

Clutter back

The current challenge is to fit the ship with a lot of ordnance, including sensor drones, decoy drones, combat drones, and missiles. The problem is that it quickly looks like a mess. I looked at aircraft pylons, but you don't get the right look on a big hull. It seems like better inspiration comes from military ships of the ocean, which manage to festoon their decks with clutter but make it look right.

Before downing tools, I quickly looked at the design with a space environment...



No comments:

Post a Comment

A few days of feeling meh

 I caught a cold from one of my children. It's not a dreadful cold, just one that knocks you a step back and robs you of any chance of a...