Thursday 25 January 2024

Coastal Defender and Blender School Next

 

A couple of days ago, I created a beach environment scene.

Rocky coast


I liked it, but it needed a subject. A titan war machine standing above the shoreline, its legs clustered with barnacles and seaweed or grass, immediately came to mind. Seemed like a nice hard surface modelling project to practice my new techniques.

First stab - rejected

This first stab was soon rejected. I liked some of the elements but it was way too detailed too soon. I needed to apply a blocking-out stage. I'd done some very rudimentary sketches, mostly to settle on the type of legs and their arrangement.

Blocking-out 1
I was happy with a very quick block arrangement. It made me think of a spider or scorpion, which seemed apt for a defensive vehicle/mech.

I made the basic legs articulated.
The articulation made me more confident about the general layout, although it proved to be a mistake in that I never really liked the leg design. 

Secondary details

I started to refine components and add major detail elements. At some point, I fell into my old trap of going into too much detail, although it doesn't feel like such a problem when you are (mostly) happy with the general design.

In the weeds

Yes, I'm definitely starting into the fine details too soon. But I survived...except I really don't think the legs match. They are just a bit too crude.

New legs!

Cricket, anyone?
Just a few areas to clean up or refine.

Blender School

I stopped my Hard Ops lessons. I was eager to make something after such an intensive course. I now realise that I would have benefited from Hard Ops on this project. I'll consider buying into a course but for now I think I'll see how far YouTube can take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...