Saturday 12 March 2022

Blending in the shadow of war


Russia invades Ukraine. The result is a geopoltical earthquake. Weeks on and there's no certainty that Russia will be successful, the people of Ukraine fight bravely --- and Russia's military machine looks incompetent, corrupt and quite frankly, suffering from  shock.

I've strugged to focus on anything, although I continue to play with Blender. If anything using Blender is a great comfort as 3D modelling is so absorbing that you easily forget about the world beyond the starting cube.

Random Flow 

Random Flow $15 (Blender Market)

Playing with the Random Flow plugin, which just got an update. It's extremely flexible and powerful, but I don't "'get it". Right now it just feels like making blind tuning, hoping for good results. Often not understanding why nothing seems to happen. Yeah, I need to read the documentation and maybe watch more tutorials. I'll get around to that and I'm sure that Random Flow will feel less random, soon.





Fluent 2.0


Fluent 2.0 - $29.0 with the extra Power Trip tools (Blender Market)

So I bought a new plugin. Fluent 2.0,  which also just got a big update. It appears to be an alternative to HardOps, which is the seminal hard surface modelling toolset -- to be fair, HardOps is its own modelling paradigm -- its not really some extra tools, its a completely different workflow. I think it is brilliant, but again, I feel very constrained and need to invest much more time to unlock its many benefits. In constrast, Fluent 2.0 seems like a simpler workflow -- again you work within its own workflow, but it's all driven by a simpler pie-menu.

For the first few hours I keep making errors or mishandling test models, so it's not a silver bullet. Again, I need to find more time for tutorals. However, something just clicked. I've a better understanding of the flow, I'm not tripping up as often.




No comments:

Post a Comment

That deeply sh!t thing happened again

 On Saturday night, we had a brief power cut. It only lasted a few seconds, resulting in a hard shutdown of my workstation. This is the work...