Monday 3 April 2023

Slow walk back into environmental modelling

 I think that building landscape scenes is the biggest revelation of the last few months. I really love the idea but I need to do a lot of work to bring all the elements together.

I watched a really useful video that covers a lot of great tips. It gets deep into the weeds, which is where  you need to be with good landscape design.



Takeaways:


1. Use lots of references. The more you tie your design to natural patterns rather than random patterns, the better results you will get.

2. Tri-planar projection: Texture Coordinate for Object into the mapping, then all textures are set to Box projection with some blend. Keep the scale small or you get too much repetition.

3. Scale of plains is huge. Roughness is a micro element.

4. Best atmosphere is volumetrics. Expensive compute! Don't even talk about the flicker.

5. Cloud gobos produce an amazing sense of scale and epic feel. Thank you, Ridley Scott.

6. Absolutely don't try to place high-poly objects like trees in the view port.

7. Subdiv is very memory expensive. Sometimes better to go with base geometry rather than using subdiv modifiers.

Geo-Scatter rocks

World Creator terrain

I tried creating a obj version of a World Creator terrain. It worked, but you can't have the really fine details from a super high resolution displacement. Its a trade-off.

Terrain Mixer update! Now with curve objects to displace rivers and roads.


One day I will get my head around Terrain Mixer's mad wall of parameters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...