Wednesday 2 November 2022

Onwards and up-to-watching-more-tutorials-wards

 

The new "workstation" has given me a renewed appetite for learning and developing. These blog posts prove that I'm spending too long tinkering and trying. Now is the time to start investing in much more learning.

Substance abuse

Last night I managed to get Substance Painter 2 working -- it needed a replacement DLL dropping in because Adobe has abandoned the old product versions. It only took a few minutes to figure out how to get a mess into place and start painting. What I did was complete rubbish, but it really sold the idea of painting textures onto assets.

Physical Celestial Objects add-on absolutely rocks, and there's a lot still to do. I've been happy with the quick gas giant textures that I cooked up using NASAs Cassini and Juno photo data.

Take the biggest map of Jupiter that you can find. Multiply it. Recolour it.

I think it hard to overstate the importance of the add-on's physical and optical setup. Even the biggest and best texture maps won't make a good planet.

The atmosphere is somewhat overstated. That's on me and my parameters.


Why so shiny?



Terrains imported from World Creator have tended to look a bit weird compared to their better look within World Creator itself. Ohe thing that seems to happen in Blender is for the normal map to produce dark patching -- maybe a limitation of normal mapping, and a there's a shiny quality even when the material is completely mat. I need to investigate and read up.

Normal not applied.

Normal map applied.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...