Tuesday 11 February 2014

Name to my pain



So I did some digging, and some more horrifically slow GPU-powered CUDA rendering. It seems that SLI isn't very good for Blender. However, it's not straight forward as this benchmark scene does great work with multiple GPUs.

PC: Ark GTX690 2GPU

PC:Ark GTX690 1GPU

PC: Ark GTX690 CPU

However...

GPU Rendertime:15m41s03

CPU Rendertime: 48s

The difference here is stupendous. The top flight graphics card (or at least it was 12 months ago) lags so far behind the standard CPU render that it becomes a rather sad joke... Scene complexity maybe? The top benchmark scene is very light on polygons.

I learned a lot from http://www.systemagnostic.com/ which covers the issue of Cycles rendering with CUDA in a lot of detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dreamhouse

 I sketched out a big modern house. The type that is cut into hills and made of a million tons of concrete. Bond-villain postcode! I decided...