Friday 21 June 2024

Floundering a bit

 Some projects run smoothly. Some don't. Some projects should be abandoned quickly, but are not.

I don't know where this project sits on the spectrum. I'm keen to do it. It's a tiny bit different -- a ship that exists (unofficially for copyright reasons) in the Alien universe. A medical frigate that looks like it belongs as a variant of the USMC Sulaco.

It's not coming to me because I've made quick starts without a lot of detailed planning. I've pushed into level-2 and level-3 details before getting the big pieces right. Age-old modelling problems for me.



Earlier design

Updated design


I liked the idea of an E.M. shroud, a radar shield for stealthy operation. It didn't feel like it sat well in the Aliens universe. The Sulaco has a tower projection that does the same job.

Making stuff out of simple forms but going into the details before the blocks are complex enough.

First effort. I realised the shield plates are not circular on the outer surface. See above from an approach that is closer to the Sulaco.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Medical Frigate: Deck plans

 I may come back to the model to improve the overall effect and some of the details, but for now I'm concentrating on the deck plans. De...