Friday 9 December 2022

The Case of the Missing Geometry [SOLVED]

Enormugantic displacement -> everything looks melty with soap-bar smoothing

 I've really enjoyed making landscapes using True Terrain. It's an amazing tool, but there was a catch: the terrain meshes, genereted using a huge displacement map, just wasn't showing the kind of surface details that you know are locked in there. Why? What's going on? Pump up the sub-div and you see no benefit.



Well I watched a Youtube video about True Terrain, by Berglmir. It suddenly bacame painfully obvious why the details were not showing: True Terrain's subdivision panel is intended to serve the texture maps, not the underlying terrain.

In order to make your underlying terrain more detailed you need to add a subdivision surface modifier into Blender's modifier stack, and, very importantly, make it apply before the True Terrain modifier. This ensures that the terrain displacement is applied after the plane has been made super-subdividy.


A couple more levels of subdivision ahead of True Terrain and whamo!

Other stuff that's cooking

A Christmas-themed illustration. Good snow is hard to make...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...