Monday 10 February 2020

A weekend tonked with many tinkers


A Storm


A weekend of stormy weather resulted in the most stay-at-home weekend in ages. This translated into a fair bit of gaming -- resulting in the death of my Level 25 Division 2 Hard-core character (Boo!), although quite a lot more Blender work got done afterward.



I find landscape generation therapeutic. I'm doing too much of it.
I love building giant landscapes, but they don't hold up very well to close up view.
A mesh with more sensible dimensions. 
I did a silly thing. I created a moderate mesh, then applied the subdivision surface modifier for at-render-time smoothing. The result swallowed up about 6GB and crashed Blender before the render even started. I think I just found my very first 32GB system memory use case.

(Saturday) Leo asked if he could help me build a model. So we built a chair! I had a bit of fun with the textures, but the model took about 3 minutes.
(Sunday) Flush from Saturday's success, Leo and I built a table.
I love that Leo has taken an interest in 3D modelling. He's more artistically included than Noah, although his 4-year-old hands don't lend themselves to Blender's keyboard shortcuts. I ended up pressing the shift and ctrl buttons for the basic operations.

Fireshark version....well quite a few.

Rough lashup of the Fireshark.
A rough model can make for a good template for sketching, getting details designed quickly.

Project ideas are now stacking up, but I am determined to build the Fireshark and not move on to something easier. The reason I've failed, so far, is that I reject all my efforts after an hour of modelling -- because bad modelling creeps in by then.

Last month's rejected effort, with a scaled-up cabin. Looks cool but I have rejected the long-nose design.

The last thing on Sunday night, the building begins again.

Some mesh errors resulted in artifacts when I applied the solidify modifier to the main body.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Not much, today

 I played with True-Terrain 5 in the morning. I got crashes. A few! I think that I may have experienced the old instability problem. I found...