Monday, 20 July 2026

Summer break begins

Word of the day 

Capriccio (Ca-Preech-Oh), an Italian word for fanciful/fantastical, originally used to describe a piece of music.  I'm shocked that I'd not heard this before. 


Goals

I am going to use the Summer break to do an absolute shitload of good things. Making this list, for starters. Followed by some of the list items themselves, probably. It's not all Sunshine and Blender, I need to be doing other things. Earning some money might also get added to the list.


Blender School - RGB Masking


I wanted to paint a mask straight onto a terrain, and not just two separate materials; I wanted three! But how, you might ask? 

1. Create a very large new image 4k/8k to avoid pixelation, call it "RGB Mask"
2. Create a simple "base" setup with some colour-based materials and plug them into the surface output using nested Mix Shaders. 
3. Add a Separate Colour node to your RGB mask; each colour plugs into the factor input of your Mix Shader nodes.
4. Now, when you paint using pure Red, Green, and Blue on your RGB Mask image, these will translate into three masks.

5. Use Node Wrangler to quickly add PBR texture files to each base colour.  Touch up the mask to position and blend the different materials for improved realism.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Very rough, but you get the idea


No comments:

Post a Comment

 The first day of the summer break started with the last work shift until September. It also included an early showing of Christopher Nolan...